Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Reading List - The Book of Negroes and Bitter is the New Black

I recently finished reading The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.  It was a great book!  This is a very big book and I was worried that it wouldn't hold my interest.  Boy was I wrong!  I was captivated by the story about the life of the main character, Aminata Diallo.  I would strongly recommend this for you if you are looking for a book that is written in an autobiographical style, with stories straight out of history, and an incredible personal tale all woven together as one.  I sat in my bathtub for hours, refilling the tub three times one night, because I just couldn't put this book down!  Aminata's journey; from her life in Africa, to becoming a slave and travelling to America, Canada, England and Africa again, is so compelling that you'll barely notice the free history lesson you are getting while you read it.





The next book I've read recently is Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster.  This book was a super-fun read!  I loved the author's sense of humour and her witty style of writing.  I would definitely compare it to Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella, although I enjoyed this book more.  I loved the way everything is written SO dramatically, and I must confess to relating with the main character, a self-centered shopaholic a bit too much at times!!  This book is based on the author's life at a time when she ended up unemployed.  Who knew that being unemployed could make for a book filled with so many laughs!  I can't wait to read another one of her books!  I wonder what kind of tragedy will strike next time?!
Happy reading and have a whimsically wonderful day!
Alice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.