Monday, May 17, 2010

Reading: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

My best friend accidentally left this book in my car the other day.  I thought I'd better take the opportunity to read it BEFORE returning it!

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne is the tale of a naive little boy living in Germany during the Second World War.  The story tells of a special friendship that develops after an unsettling move from his comfortable home in Berlin.

I had no expectations when I picked up this book.  I had no idea what it was about and I was quite surprised at the way this author approaches this delicate subject matter.  The book left me a lot to think about, and has a very different viewpoint than most Holocaust books.  It vaguely reminded me of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, in that it told a story of this time from the perspective of a German child.  This is a big contrast to The Diary of Anne Frank which tells of the Holocaust from a Jewish child's perspective.  Although the story is about a 9 year old boy, it is not written for 9 year olds.

It was a very quick read and I found that I just wanted to finish it in one sitting.  If you want something that will make you think then pick up this book!  It was apparently made into a movie, and I'll be looking for that now.

Have a whimsically wonderful day!
Alice.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.