Monday, October 18, 2010

Finding Happiness...

Happiness.  It's a funny thing.  When I'm happy I take it for granted, that things will always be like this.  But when things change, and I find myself clouded with unhappy feelings, I get frustrated.  I know that I have an amazing life!  We have so many advantages and wonderful things that SHOULD make me happy.  And I can't explain to myself why I could possibly be unhappy.  So what do I do about it?

Firstly, I give myself permission to wallow.  For a short time.  Possibly a whole afternoon spent lying in bed.  Not even trying to be happy, just letting myself feel that misery.  Allowing myself to feel unhappy FOR AWHILE reminds me that I don't have to be happy all of the time.  It reminds me that I am human.

Once I have had time to truly feel unhappy I start looking for things to change my mood.  My first instinct is to surround myself with people that I enjoy being around.  But although this provides me temporary relief, this doesn't work for me long term... I need the happiness to come from within.  So I start looking for the small things.

The small moments of beauty.
The small moments of pleasure.
The small moments of joy.
The small moments of love.
The small moments of happiness.

I have an Endless Pool.  It is a small pool that has a current that you swim against.  I LOVE to swim.  This is one of those things that SHOULD make me happy.  Mostly it does.  Today I discovered that there is a small moment where I experience pure joy.   After half an hour the current turns off automatically.  I just love that unexpected burst of power that I feel as I propel myself through the now still water.  I LOVE this moment!  Not because I'm finished swimming.  Instead it is because of how powerful I feel for that moment... roughly 5 seconds.  If I can find joy and happiness in those 5 seconds, think of how many opportunities for happiness I have in a whole hour, or a day!

So my new mission:  To Find the Happiness in the Everyday Small Moments.

What's making you happy today?

2 comments:

  1. Finding happiness in little things is one of my goals too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don`t put life on hold... Live every moment...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.