Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reading: The Hippopotamus

The book club I attend chose The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry.  It was hard for me to get into this book at first.  The writing was uncomfortable and not my typical reading style, but as I ploughed forward things started to change.  I became interested in the story that was being told.  I became more comfortable with the writing style as I got to know the characters.

The main character is a rude, grumpy, old journalist named Ted Wallace.  He is tasked with unearthing information about what is happening at Swafford Hall when people are miraculously "cured" of what ails them.

At times I found myself laughing, grimacing and completely disgusted.  But even through the awkward parts of this book I found myself compelled to keep reading.  I had to know where this story would take me.  I was very satisfied by the ending.  Everything tied up quite nicely with a sweet little surprise at the end.

Even though I was satisfied with the ending of the book, and I got into the story, I don't think I would recommend this book.  It had some seriously disturbing content, and I thought that overall it was a pretty good book, but not something I would read again.

Have a whimsically wonderful day!
Alice.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.