Thursday, October 28, 2010

Reading: The Thirteenth Tale

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield was an AMAZING book!  This book caught me by surprise by being SO wonderful! (The last book club selection was not wonderful at all... One Hundred Years of Solitude... zzzz.)

From the opening phrases I was hooked.  The writing was rich and vibrant.  The words were picturesque and full of life.  I found myself being swept away on a compelling adventure and I could not put this book down. (I considered making my boys miss their soccer practice so I could stay home and continue reading... but luckily for them my urge to be a good parent slightly outweighed my need to read.  Fortunately books are great companions at meals and in the bath!)

The main character, Margaret Lea, is such a fascinating character, not only because of the details given in the story, but also because of details that were absent.  Although Miss Lea has a birthday we never really discover how old she is.  I would like to think that the author made her this way on purpose in order to help  a reader slip into her character more easily.  She is just a woman about to hear the story of a lifetime.

I am fond of mysteries, but this book wasn't just a mystery novel.  It was a multi-mystery novel.  There were so many lovely little pieces waiting to be "figured out" that I was kept constantly busy guessing where the next clue would take me.

I won't say anything more, as I don't want to spoil this book for you, as I HIGHLY recommend you go and read it for yourself right away!

Happy reading and have a whimsically wonderful day!
Alice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.