Today I wanted to discuss how things went last year. Yesterday I shared how I'm changing it up for this year. The small type is copied from my A New Beginning post from last year, the large type is my breakdown of how well things went, along with my own Pass/Fail decision.
NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS 2010
1. Reading: I want to read to my children every day... or at least 5 times a week!
I will also make a list of books for my own personal reading, and I would like to tackle one each month.
This one started out so well! I was reading to the boys very consistently and we really enjoyed it... but eventually the routine failed and we read together occasionally. I love the idea of reading to them everyday, but the reality is, that is just WAY too scheduled for me! So, FAIL, I guess, but not by much! I have been reading books from my personal reading list, I don't think I managed one each month, but I'll give myself a pass on that one! (if you want to see some of my favourite books from this year click on Great Books under "Labels" in my sidebar)
2. Scrapbooking: I will scrapbook 8 layouts per month! That is 2 per week. Basically I just want to scrapbook on a regular basis.
Eight layouts per month?!! That's a lot!! What was I thinking? I did scrapbook quite a bit, but I don't know if I did that much... but I did scrapbook on a regular basis... so I accomplished what I really wanted to!
3. Financial: I will get caught up on all of our office work! (Fortunately the bookkeeper will help with this one!)
We had issues with our bookkeeper and I now have a NEW bookkeeper. She is awesome! We are doing so well and things are organized and almost all caught up! Success!
4. Homeschool: I will help the boys do their schoolwork on a regular basis... dare I say : SCHEDULE!!
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!! A schedule!!! I must have been crazy the day I wrote that!! EPIC FAIL!! However my kids did manage to learn a lot and I'm happy with how things are progressing... so silver lining??
5. Fitness: I will continue to swim every other day.
As usual I get into swimming, I love it, and then something derails my good intentions... like a cold, that lasted from Sept. 10 to Nov. 24. I'll give myself a pass for my healthy time, because I did fairly well then!
6. House: I will be persistent in getting our house finished this year! Lighting, backsplash and guest rooms here we come!
Well, the house isn't totally finished. We still need some lighting, a door bell, ceilings in the basement, and I only have one of my guest rooms complete. We did get our backsplash done and did I mention that the finished guest room is BEAUTIFUL?!! Definitely a Pass!
7. Organization: I want to get rid of clutter in my life! To help with this I will accept the 365 Days of De-Cluttering Challenge!
I thought I would do the De-Cluttering Challenge, but that failed before it even started!! My house is somewhat clean, most of the time. Clutter builds up and is eventually dealt with. I think that this is a problem that will be a constant battle that I just need to accept!
8. Relationship: I will make dates... with husband and with friends! Once a week with my husband and once a month with my girlfriends.
Was I supposed to make OFFICIAL dates? I did spend time with friends and with my husband, so I'd say I passed. Although the sound of an official date with my husband does sound nice!
9. Cooking: I will attempt to become a better cook! Learn to do by doing... so I will try my hand at cooking or baking once a week!
Once a week! Gosh, I was certainly in an optimistic mood when I said this! I have been preparing supper very consistently. Supper is on the table at 6 p.m. almost every night! I have baked a few things, even new things, so that is good, but once a week is definitely a FAIL!
10. I will find ways to show the important people in my life how precious they are... even ME!
I hope that this happened, it is the hardest one to judge. I hope that my important people know how precious they are!
So, there you have it... did I Pass or Fail? I'll give myself credit... even by trying to accomplish these goals I have been successful! Maybe the quantities and timelines are not what I set my goals for, but that really doesn't bother me... why not set the bar high, so I have something to reach for? So, congratulations to me for my successes with my 2010 New Years Resolutions!! I'm sure 2011 will be even better!