Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Reading: Holidays On Ice

Holidays On Ice by David Sedaris was another book club selection.  It is a collection of short stories based loosely around the holidays.


The first story in the book, SantaLand Diaries, was my favourite!  David tells the tales of his employment as an elf for Macy's Department Store.  The situations he described had me laughing out loud.  If you have ever wondered about the type of people that become Santa's Elves, or you would just love to hear some of the horror stories from behind the scenes, then I would definitely pick up this book!


As for the rest of the stories, all much shorter than the first, I wasn't very impressed.  I was often disappointed at the lack of humour, (Sedaris is a humorist after all!) or the attempt at humour.  Sedaris definitely has a different point of view, which can be difficult for me to identify with.  


Although a few of the stories failed to impress I would recommend Holidays On Ice, based solely on the strength of the first short story.
Happy reading!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.