Thursday, January 13, 2011

Reading: The Swimming Pool

The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw is a beautifully written book.  I loved the poignant feeling this book created.  It is a heart-wrenching story of loss, deceit, guilt and inadequacy.  This book was not fun to read, but still subtly compelling.

I loved reading the character's internal battle with solitude and the search to find a way to survive.  I am not a fan of books involving adultery, but the writing in this book was about so much more than the adultery.  The adultery became became a background to the mental struggle of the characters and their search to find joyful life.

If you like a book that is compelling to read, but does not hold you in a death grip until you finish it, this would be a great choice.  If you love to read about characters and their inner thoughts and feelings you may enjoy this book.  I find myself appreciating it more as I write about it, as I pay attention to the ways in which this story has stuck with me.  I enjoyed the humanness of the people, and that is why this is a great book.

Happy reading and have a whimsically wonderful day!
Alice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.