Sunday, January 16, 2011

Reasons Not to Scrapbook - CHALLENGED!!

I often hear people talk about all of the reasons they can't or don't scrapbook.  I scrapbook because I enjoy the process.  I love that I have a beautiful outcome that my family and friends can enjoy, but for me that is just a bonus!  I'd like to address some of the excuses for not scrapbooking, and make suggestions on how to make scrapbooking a regular part of your life.


I just don't have the time. This is one of the most common reasons I've heard about why someone can't scrapbook. Yet, the same person will tell me all about the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy or Desperate Housewives or "insert name of favourite TV show here".  Now, I would never suggest giving up TV!  I like my shows as much as the next person!  With a small amount of preplanning I can EASILY scrapbook and watch TV at the same time.  You need to have all the "thinking parts" prepared before you watch a familiar show.  Once your plan is made you are simply assembling your page, which does not require your full attention.  If preplanning isn't your thing... you can do what I do, and plan during the commercials!  Note:  I don't recommend trying to scrapbook and watch unfamiliar shows or movies... you need to know the characters or you'll find yourself just watching the movie!


I don't know where to start. If you don't START this will not get easier! I suggest beginning with a holiday or trip that has a start and a finish.  This gives you a manageable project and you will have a chance to develop your style. So many times I have heard people complain because their first project was their wedding album and they are not happy with it. When you are unsure of what you are doing, or just starting out with a new hobby, please don't start with one of the most special days of your life!! Give yourself a chance to learn and experiment.  (You learn how to knit with a scarf, not a sweater!) A vacation has lots of emotional content, perfect for scrapbooking, but it will not be as precious as your wedding, so it will give you a chance to learn.


I'll never be caught up!  Why do you need to be?  Do you really need to scrapbook EVERY photo, and EVERY memory?  I am realistic, it is NOT going to happen!  So I give myself permission to enjoy the process and to accept what I'm able to do.  I have over 28,000 photos on my computer... and that is only for the last 3 years!  There is no possible way for me to scrapbook all of those photos!  By scrapbooking a few select photos and memories I can give a glimpse of our life; what we did, how we felt, and what was important to us, and still feel content that I have done enough.  I recently heard the saying, "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time."  Well, I don't plan on eating the whole elephant... I only want the good bits!


I am not artistic.  There are so many amazing products and guides available that there is absolutely no pressure on you to be artistic!  That is the job of the designers and creators of the fabulous papers, embellishments, and how-to books!  Not every scrapbook page will be a work of art.  Sometimes they are simply there to tell the story.  I feel that the industry is too caught up in making scrapbooking about the products and not about the stories being told.  When I see a beautiful page with no journalling, I wonder about the value that page will really have in the future... it will be no different than a regular photo album... just prettier.  I still make pages without journalling from time to time, but the majority of my pages do tell a story.  The  reason to scrapbook is to tell your story!


I don't have enough money.  I will be the first person to admit that scrapbooking can be an expensive hobby!  There are so many tools, papers and embellishments that are fun to play with and can help to make your pages special.  HOWEVER, there are many ways to keep scrapbooking more affordable!  I will be teaching a class about "Economical Scrapbooking" in February.  I will demonstrate that scrapbooking does not need to cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars!  We will be using Close to my Heart level 2 paper packets to create several layouts and I'll show you how to get the most "bang for your buck".  If you are interested in this class you can sign up on my facebook page:  Alice's Attic - Scrapbooking, just "like" the page and you can leave me a message, or you can leave me a message on here!  I will post more information as soon as it is available.


Now, what are you waiting for?  Get scrapbooking!


Have a wonderfully whimsical day!
Alice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.