Thursday, February 10, 2011

New Recipe Review

Yesterday I tried a new recipe.  (for me this is a really BIG deal!) "Zesty Roasted Chicken and Potatoes" from the St. Joseph School Grad Class 2011 recipe book. 


Zesty Roasted Chicken and Potatoes


6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lb. small potatoes, quartered
1/3 c. mayonnaise
3 Tbsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cloves of crushed garlic
Sprinkle parsley flakes.


Heat oven to 350F.  Grease a shallow baking dish.  Place chicken and potatoes in pan.  Brush with mixture of the remaining ingredients.  Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.




I was underwhelmed by this recipe.  It just wasn't that "zesty".  It was good though.  I would try it again using a bit of stronger mustard.  It could also use a bit of salt, or seasoning salt.  One major concern was that the potatoes take way longer to cook than the chicken. The chicken would have been seriously overcooked if I hadn't taken the chicken out of the pan when it was done and put the potatoes back to finish.  I will try to remedy this by cutting my potatoes smaller.  This would also allow the seasoning to coat the pieces more.


Do you have any suggestions to up the "Zesty" quotient of this recipe?  Some kind of spice that would add a little "Zing"?   I would like to try it again next week, so I'd appreciate any suggestions!


Have a wonderfully whimsical day!
Alice.

2 comments:

  1. I would say to add lemon juice but I don't think it would match the rest of the ingredients. This recipe (see link in a min) is pretty zesty and my family LOVES it.

    http://www.justourthoughts.com/2009/09/30-days-of-recipes-creamy-lemon-chicken.html

    Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you for your specific recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marinate chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic clove and some peperoncinco.

    Cut the potatoes in cubes. Rub down baking dish with garlic clove. Put potatos on baking dish, sprinkle with coarse salt, olive oil and fresh rosemary.

    Fry chicken breasts in pan when potatoes are almost done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.