Monday, February 28, 2011

Red Velvet Cake

I made a Red Velvet Cake for my dad's birthday on Saturday.  A Red Velvet cake is basically a chocolate cake with a lot of red food colouring in it.  I had some amazing red velvet cake at a friend's birthday back in November and decided that I needed to try this!




To find a recipe I went to allrecipes.com.  I read the comments section to see what people thought.  One reader had made some amendments/improvements, so I thought I would incorporate her ideas.  The only disappointment was that the cake wasn't quite as red as I would have liked.  It tasted great and I had plenty of compliments.  I also liked the icing, which was new to me.  Very buttery and not super sweet.


Red Velvet Cake (as amended from allrecipes.com)


4 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 oz. red food colouring (I used Wilton gel colour instead)
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup oil
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2-1/2 cups flour, sifted (or not)
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. white vinegar


Icing


1 cup milk
5 Tbsp. flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract


CAKE Directions:


Grease two 9" round pans.  (I used slightly smaller heart shaped ones) Preheat oven to 350°F.  Make a paste of cocoa and food colouring.  Set aside.  (I added my vanilla here, and a bit of extra buttermilk since I used gel colour instead of liquid.)


Combine buttermilk, salt and vanilla (unless you put the vanilla in already!)  Set aside.


In a large bowl mix oil and sugar.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the cocoa mixture.  


Mix in the buttermilk mixture alternately with flour until just mixed.  Stir together baking soda and vinegar, then gently fold into the cake batter.


Pour batter into prepared pans.  Bake for 30 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely before frosting.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.


ICING Directions:


In a saucepan, combine the milk and the flour.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.  Set aside to cool completely.  


Cream butter, sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy.  Stir in the cooled milk and flour mixture.  Beat until the icing reaches spreading consistency.






This is my cocoa, vanilla and colouring mixture... I added extra buttermilk to make it into a paste.

Here I'm adding the cocoa paste to the buttermilk mixture.

The finished batter.

I put the cakes into the oven.

Here's how they looked all cooked.

I iced the cake, keeping it very simple... and added a few sprinkles.

The final product.... I wish it was MORE red colour!  I'll see what I can do about that next time!


I don't usually buy buttermilk, but since this recipe called for it I did.  So, as an extra bonus I made Buttermilk Pancakes for breakfast on Sunday.  Lets just say that I might buy some more buttermilk!


Have a whimsically wonderful day!
Alice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.