Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Barley Salad

There is no hidden meaning here!  This is not a post about beer!


I recently was inspired to try making a barley salad.  I love barley, and I have had it in a salad before, once, a long time ago.  This is not the usual salads in our house, but maybe now it will be!


My recipe was inspired by a couple of recipes I found online.  I combined the parts that sounded good.


Ingredients:


1-1/2 cups dry Pot Barley
3 cups of water to cook barley


1 red pepper, diced
1 pkg. of grape tomatoes (I didn't have these today.)
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2-3 carrots, finely chopped
1 cucumber, chopped (I didn't have this today.)
1 can of niblet corn, with the juice
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
basil
dill
salt and pepper


Directions:
Cook barley in a similar fashion to rice.  It should absorb all of the water.
Cut/dice/slam chop all of your ingredients, and mix together with barley.
Chill.
Eat.
Enjoy!


Substitute any vegetables that you like for ones that you don't.  If you think it might go, try it!  Judging from my boys' empty bowls, and Joe's second helping, my kids like it too!


Have a whimsically wonderful day!
Alice.

2 comments:

  1. I don't keep red wine vinegar around. Is there a substitute? I'll go looking. I love barley! Have you tried the Hamburger Soup from The Big Cook, yet? It has barley in it. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without red wine vinegar, (my favourite kind!) I would use regular vinegar. If you have some apple cider vinegar, or balsamic, maybe do half regular and half flavoured. It will still be delicious! I'm a big fan of the different vinegars, great for adding a little zip to a bland recipe. I also use red wine vinegar in my Chili.

    I haven't tried the Hamburger Soup yet. So far I've only made the Beef Hash, which we all seemed to like. Maybe I'll do that one next. I want to try a few of the recipes so I can do a BIG COOK!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.