Thursday, March 31, 2011

Challenging Fear

I have accepted many challenges this year.  One of the challenges from my New Year's Resolutions 2011 is:


7.  I resolve to try new things!  Things that make me uncomfortable or squeamish.  I've never tried sushi, (I don't like fish, somehow RAW fish doesn't sound better!!) or ran a 10k, or ... I don't know I'll have to see what I can come up with!!


So, I've been working on trying new things.  Things that make me uncomfortable.  It is in this spirit that I said yes to something that TERRIFIES me!


In the fall of 2009 I joined the Community Choir.  I like to sing.  I am not known for my singing abilities, but I figured, "In the choir, I can just... BLEND!"


photo of me "blending" with the choir last spring


SO MUCH FOR THAT!!!


Last week, our choir director decided we needed a soloist for one section of music.  It is ONLY 3 bars.  It is ONLY One sentence.  That doesn't sound bad, does it?  At the wrong moment I happened to look up and make eye contact!  (Note: NEVER MAKE EYE CONTACT IF YOU ARE TRYING TO AVOID SOMETHING!!!)


"Alice, how about you?" she said in her irresistible British accent.  As my face turns green, somehow I manage to exhale a reluctantly affirmative answer! OMG!  What was I getting myself into?


Lets get one thing straight.  I don't mind a spotlight, not horribly anyways.  I can speak to a group of people.  I even manage to seem somewhat relaxed when doing this.  BUT...


Singing in public???  That was already a VERY BIG stretch for me!  Now they want me to sing... ALL BY MYSELF!!!  (Excuse me for a moment while a blow into a paper bag, and try to inhale!)


But apparently some small, very small, somewhat crazy, part of myself figured this is something I can do... so here I go!  Now, I will practice like crazy, and do the best job that I possibly can.  If I manage to not turn into a pool of jelly, that will be quite the accomplishment!


And if you are sick and twisted, and want to see this torture in person, please... join me on April 30 for our Spring Concert!  We are performing a selection of pieces from Andrew Lloyd Webber.  The show starts at 7 p.m. at the Whitecourt United Church.


Have a whimsically wonderful day!
Alice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.