Sunday, March 27, 2011

Deceptively Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today I would like to share a cookie recipe I like.  I have made these cookies twice, and I have been very happy with them both times.  
Jessica Seinfeld wrote a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food.  The main secret in this book is to hide vegetables in otherwise fun foods that kids love.  I'm not about to make a bunch of purees to get my kids to eat healthier.  Luckily my kids are not that picky of eaters, and they like vegetables.  If this was a problem, maybe I would have a different attitude about making purees to hide vegetables!  


The "secret" ingredient in these cookies is Chickpeas, aka Garbanzo Beans.  Yes, REALLY!   And these cookies are delicious.


Deceptively Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup margarine
2 large egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla
1- 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt


Preheat oven to 350°F.  Spray pan with cooking spray.


*Alice's edit to the recipe:  Puree the chickpeas, using the egg whites.  (the original recipe doesn't puree the chickpeas, but that wasn't attractive to me!)


Cream sugar and margarine.  Beat in vanilla, chickpeas (now mixed with egg whites) and chocolate chips.


Add flour, oats, baking soda and salt.  Mix until a thick dough is formed.


Drop onto baking sheet  by the tablespoonful.  Bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11 to 13 minutes.  Do not overbake.  Transfer to a rack to cool.


Store in an airtight container up to 3 days.



I found a caloric breakdown online, click to enlarge:


These may not be the healthiest cookies, but they are COOKIES!  I find that the pureed chickpeas make them very soft, and they don't taste like chickpeas at all, they just taste great.  Enjoy!

I might try to make these cookies with less margarine, and I could definitely use fewer chocolate chips, this would help with the calorie count!  This batch is gone already... thankfully I had company and didn't eat them all myself!


Have a wonderfully whimsical day!
Alice.



1 comment:

  1. Interesting to note: my son Joe asked me to add fewer chocolate chips the next time I make this recipe. This tells me two things... I'm on the right track in wanting to reduce the chocolate chips, and my kids like my cookies enough to plan for next time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.