Sunday, March 6, 2011

Reading: The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett is a classic children's novel.  I'm not sure that I would have enjoyed this story as a child, however as an adult I found it a very captivating story. Some of the language, mainly the "York accent" would have been off-putting to me as a kid.  As an adult however, I found it intriguing.


I really enjoyed the way the secret of the garden captivates the imagination of all who hear about it.  I love the strong-willed little Mary, who does not understand how to "fit" into regular societal norms due to her unusual upbringing in India. 


I love how so many perceptions in the story are actually realized to be misperceptions.  I love how the garden is kept somewhat wild and unruly, while still tended with love.  I think this book has a lot to love. 


If you have never ready The Secret Garden I would definitely recommend it.  When you are done reading it, go straight into The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.  (My review here.)  Having just read The Secret Garden, I realize how important it is to read before reading Kate Morton's wonderful book.  I wish I had read it first.  I might reread The Forgotten Garden now that I know this story.


Happy reading!
Alice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! Please feel free to share this post with others.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.